Immediate dentures are made from impressions that are taken while your natural teeth are still in your mouth. These dentures are inserted immediately after your natural teeth have been removed – the purpose of immediate dentures is to avoid or preclude the absence of teeth during post-surgical healing.
One question/concern that is frequently raised in relation to this procedure pertains to diet. Specifically, patients want to know what they can eat during the first few days post-surgery.
Understandably, some soreness will be experienced as the swelling subsides and the tissues begin to heal – but patients will still want to eat, so they will regularly ask their denturists to recommend the types of foods/meals they can consume early in the convalescence period.
There are indeed many healthy and nutritious meals that people can enjoy within the first few days after the insertion of immediate dentures. One such meal can easily be prepared by following this simple recipe:
Curry Cauliflower Soup
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 750 ml of vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon of curry powder
- salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375F
- Finely chop the cauliflower and spread on a baking sheet
- Drizzle olive oil over the cauliflower
- Sprinkle with ½ teaspoon of curry powder.
- Bake for approximately 20 minutes or until the cauliflower begins to soften
- Add partially cooked cauliflower to the vegetable stock in a large soup pot
- Cook on medium heat for 15 minutes – stir occasionally as mixture thickens
- Add salt and pepper (to taste) and the remainder of the curry
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream on top and enjoy
Similar types of healthy, hearty, and nutritious soups can be prepared with broccoli, sweet potatoes, or mushrooms to add variety to a post-immediate dentures diet plan.
If you require dentures but have concerns about not having teeth during the healing period, immediate dentures could provide the right solution. Call the Bajic Denture Clinic today at 705-526-4041 or contact us for a complimentary consultation on immediate dentures.