These are some of the tips on how to take proper care of your dentures
Now that you have your dentures and you are happy with the way they changed your life, it is important to maintain them. Dentures are made from an acrylic material which is designed to look like your natural gums. Acrylic is a porous material with microscopic holes which is a perfect spot for bacteria to get in and grow. Once the bacteria enters your dentures a few things can happen:
- Change the color of the denture.
- Compromise the structure of the dentures making it more prone to breaking.
- Impact your overall health by having the bacteria multiply and enter your system
Keeping your dentures clean does not have to be hard, by reading the steps below you will be sure to extend the life of your dentures while keeping that healthy and beautiful smile:
- Rinse your dentures after every meal, avoid using hot water as high temperatures can change the shape of your denture.
- It is also important to brush your dentures after every meal. Do this by brushing the denture with a denture cleanser to remove any food debris, plaque and other deposits. Make sure that you do not use a regular tooth paste as it can and will damage your dentures.
- When going to sleep make sure you clean your dentures and soak them overnight. Dentures are designed to be in a moist environment if you leave them out to dry this can damage the acrylic and compromise the structure of the denture. Dentures should be soaked overnight in a denture soaking solution.
- Schedule regular dental checkups. At Bajic Denture Clinic, we will schedule a regular check up where we will further clean your dentures using professional equipment and conduct an oral screening exam to make sure you stay healthy.